Monday, December 9, 2013

Decentralized offline filesharing as Art

While I would be very, very careful about plugging my laptop into one of these, it's a great idea. I love the visual pun on "data architecture." :)

New media artist Aram Bartholl's Dead Drops are basically USB drives which have been embedded into permanent features of public spaces for the purposes of allowing anonymous, peer-to-peer file sharing. Because this work requires public interaction to really be a viable piece, I'm going to assume that this work is both new media and post-modernist.

It would seem to me that a lot depends on the type of files uploaded onto the drives, and whether or not any larger use for them is determined by the people who use them. (For instance, if it became a trend to put a specific type of data on them to share, like anonymous diary text files or nature photos or something.) I sincerely hope that they are not ALL porn, although if one goes around offering free technology, that's an avenue which is always culturally embraced.

There's also a nifty How-To video on the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment