With Peter's emphasis on negative space for the photomontage assignment, and the text's recent chapter on composition elements, I've been thinking about the concept of "emptiness" as a design element. (See pgs. 74-81 for a refresher.)
Does anyone else have trouble remembering to allow sufficient "emptiness" around their positive shapes to provide balance ? An interesting batch of negative shapes can make a composition more involving, but I end up fighting between the intersections of my positive and negative shapes; there seems to always be one that overpowers the image. Balance is difficult for me. (I'm open to suggestions here...)
What if the "emptiness" is the point of the work?
Here is an interesting article from NPR which talks about conceptual views of "nothing" in physics and art. It includes a photo of my favorite piece of artwork. (I won't spoil the fun for you, suffice to say that I enjoy the irony of being able to "click for a high resolution image.")
Two Ways to Think About Nothing
No comments:
Post a Comment