I got a kick out of this section in the text (p. 134-5). Basically, what we've been doing in class so far can be characterized as "variations on a theme," even though we are different artists doing the same theme instead of a single artist doing a series on a single theme. I think it still counts.
On this note, I would get a kick out of seeing all of our works for a single assignment collected into a single space/document. I know we get to see what everyone has done during peer review, but as a single composition it would make in interesting statement, don't you think?
(in a totally non-related aside, I actually got to see most of Hokusai's works in a show years ago in the International District in Seattle. At the time, it was the largest collection of his work collected in a single show. The fog effects, I remember, were especially compelling, especially since it must have been difficult to get a "fade out" effect using woodblock printing. Oddly, the class I was with wasn't able to view the entire show because our (ethnically Japanese) instructor got impatient with how long it took us all to look at the prints, so we were rushed out of the show to go eat lunch...)
No comments:
Post a Comment