The habits of mind and work section (p. 136-7) has some good points. Incorporating daily practice is probably what I need to focus on the most. I get frustrated easily, and am not a fan of "incremental excellence"--I'll take all of my excellence at once, thank you very much!
While I appreciate these points, I can't help thinking that what I'd really like to see an instructive section on is "How to be a Commercial Success." I've got bills to pay, especially my student loans. One can't be daily practicing if they've got two or three jobs just to make ends meet, you know? Give me the important stuff...then I'll plug myself into Illustrator for 30 minutes every day. I promise!
Yeah I really didnt like this section
ReplyDeleteMe neither. Plus it seemed weird to put it in the middle of the book. If somebody was the type who couldn't get their act together, they'd never get to read that part.
ReplyDeleteIf the author was going to include this material, why not in the introduction or the first chapter?