OK, the rewarding-yet-exhausting internship is finally over and done with. Let's give this blog thing a try.
I've been really looking forward to this class, and it's interesting to think about the ways the scope of 355 can intersect with my 375 class (Language, Texts, and Technology). On the other hand, it's daunting to come from a place of basically no skill with the tools we're supposed to be using. It's been years since I touched a Mac (and even then, two of them died mysteriously under my care: an iMac and a Cube. Involuntary Macslaughter. Charged but acquitted.).
I think when I had my single course on Photoshop the computer lab had some version of 3 on it, and while somewhere I still have the files for my project somewhere, I no longer have the zip drive to access them. I should probably be grateful that at least they weren't on punch cards.
Not having any technical proficiency with the required tools is pretty frightening. Honestly, though, it's not half as bad as the terrors I've had over this blogging assignment. It's an exciting way to interact with the coursework and certainly useful as a tool for collaborating with classmates, but ...I am an extremely private person. I value my anonymity. I don't "do the Twitter," have never had a web site, hate Facebook for the rampant privacy issues and refuse to use an actual photo of myself on it. I don't even like wearing a nametag at work.
I'm willing to give it real try, though. I know the syllabus says we were supposed to have our blogs "finalized" by August 27th, but I think that (since I really have no idea what I'm doing, much less what's possible) I will continue to modify and update this as the semester moves on. Let's call it "experiential learning." Don't get too attached to anything.
No comments:
Post a Comment